Sunday, August 24, 2014

I was trying to sleep in. Although, that's hard with dogs. But sometimes I can trick them into thinking there's still half an hour before they have to get up and go outside. I was hoping this morning might have been one of those mornings. 


Not to be. 

I was lying there in bed, holding my eyes shut, hoping sleep would come back if only the intermittent honking would stop. Not regular car honking though. This was a boat. And it would not. Shut. Up. 

Every minute there was a Seaway freighter blowing its bloody horn. And someone was hauling on it pretty insistently. How do the people in my family sleep through these rackets? I think they're pretending so I have to be the first one to get up....the one to take the dogs out. 

Living here, on the edge of nature, the River is that much closer and there's a fairly clear path to the water - no downtown traffic, buildings or highway to buffer the watery going-ons. Not that it's usually very noisy. It's a lovely river. 

But it is a working river and every day the Seaway is open, many large cargo freighters go by. We've always called them freighters....most locals do. They don't very often blow their horns.

I wondered if one got stuck. It happens every so often. The water was very low the last couple of years. A sea going freighter got stuck around Montreal. One headed to the Great Lakes ran aground in the islands just west of town. Much local excitement ensued. Another ran aground east of the closest lock station. We couldn't drive by and see that one. It took a couple of days to get it unstuck. 

However, this is where my mind goes. A ship is blowing its horn and I wonder if it's stuck....in the very deep and clear portion of the river we are near to. Also, I was annoyed. It's Sunday morning. I've slept for 4 hours after a long day. 

So I popped into my little car and took a little Sunday morning drive down to the river's edge. 


It looked lovely....in the fog. 



Normally, we can see New York and not just two feet past the rocks at the river's edge. 


Of course the poor ship was blowing its horn every 100 meters. You can't see a thing out there this morning!!

I drove home for coffee. But I thought you might like to see a snap or two of my new village. It's pretty and historic and I love the old parts of it. 


We have a tower. It's awesome. 


We have a beautiful Anglican church with the most lovely graveyard. 

One day I'll walk about and take pictures of all the lovely old things in the village. Not this day, though. The boat has moved on to annoy the next town to the east and I have planned a Welcome Home corn roast for The Girl Child to be held later today. She arrived home in the wee hours of the morning after a Friday of managing a most curious sports injury situation and a Saturday of travel complications, cancellations and delays. 

I'm off to clean the pool, husk the corn and dig out the Thomas trains and Playmobil for the wee cousins. 

Mrs. A

0 comments:



  © Blogger template Cumulus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP